Mercy Road Daily Prayer ~ Friday, April 22, 2011

My God, my God,

Why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from the words of my groaning? Why have you left me to suffer in this world? Why do you seem so distant when I need you? Why are you silent when I ask for your help? Why do you not seem to hear my cries? Day and night I pray Lord, just as you commanded, yet it brings me know peace or rest from my struggles, because you do not respond.

Yet, I know you are holy. I realize you are good. I believe you are watching over me from your throne, because my parents taught me to believe. They trusted you and you helped them in their troubles. They had faith in you and I saw how you proved their faith to be true.

But as for me Lord, sometimes I feel like a worm. Sometimes I feel loved by none and hated by all. I suspect that others smile to my face and criticize me behind my back. I imagine they say things like, “He can’t really be a Christian. Look at the way he acts. Listen to what he says. A real Christian would know more about God. A real Christian would have more faith and be more holy.”

Yet you brought me safely out of my mother’s womb and drew my heart to trust you from the moment I was born. My life was dedicated to you at my birth and you have been my God ever since.

Therefore, when you feel distant, I will seek you. When I feel forsaken, I will serve you. When I suffer, I will praise you, and when you seem silent, I will continue to cry out for your help. Do not be far from me, my Lord and my Savior, for trouble is near and you are the only help that I have.

Draw me closer to you on this Good Friday. Fill my heart with your Spirit and embolden me to speak your truth to all that I meet on this beautiful, scandalous day.

By your grace and for your glory, I pray in Jesus’ name,

Amen

~ Based on Psalm 22:1-11