Mercy Road Daily Prayer ~ Monday, April 25, 2011

Lord God,

When I am in trouble I call out to you because you have been faithful to respond. From the depth of my disappointments and despairs, I have prayed for your help and you have listened to my requests.

Yet sometimes I feel as though I am drowning in the depths of the sea, overwhelmed by the stress, responsibilities, and troubles that wash over me like waves crashing down upon my head. At times, I feel like I have been abandoned, discarded and forgotten, though I continue to look to you for help.

Merciful God, I am being swamped by life, inundated by my obligations to family, friends, work, and you. There is not enough time in the day to accomplish everything that needs to be done, and yet I feel pressure to get it all done. Day and night those things weigh on my mind and give me a sinking feeling from which I cannot free myself.

But when I remember how you saved me in the past, I call to you for help and you save me again from this pit of despair. Though my strength and will slip away, you rescue me from my stress that threatens to burry me.

Lord, I feel for those who hold on to the worthless idols of self-advancement, self-entitlement, self-indulgence, self-importance, self-pity, self-promotion, self-righteousness, and so on. I pity those who forget the love you demonstrated for us when Christ hung on the cross for our sins. I feel sorry for those who have lost sight of the hope we have through His resurrection.

But my heart is thankful for the grace that you have shown me and the salvation that comes from you. Help me to demonstrate that grace to others today, that they might know it too.

By your grace and for your glory,
I pray in Jesus’ name,
Amen
~ based on Jonah 2