Mercy Road Daily Prayer ~ Monday, May 16, 2011

Lord God,

I confess that sometimes it’s easy to get caught up in my own troubles; to be so focused on the things that aren’t going the way right, that I am tempted to wallow in self-pity. But Lord, I know that you have saved me. I know that you are with me. I know that you protect me from countless, unseen, dangers and troubles. I know that I am greatly blessed.

Therefore Lord, make me mindful of those whose troubles are more sever than my own; those who don’t know where there next meal will come from, or have no place to sleep at night. Those who are fighting on going illnesses or facing the possibility of death. Those who have suffered loss, those who are being abused, those who feel all alone, and wonder why a God of grace and love would let their suffering continue. Help me to see their faces Lord, to pray for them by name, to demonstrate your grace and truth, and to recognize how good you’ve been to me.

Lord God, I need more of your grace in my life; I need more of your mercy. I know that I have sinned against you. I know that I have missed opportunities to speak your truth and demonstrate your love to others. I know that I have missed the mark of your righteousness and I need you to reach it for me.

Like those who despise you Lord, I know that my words can be cruel and vicious, deceitful and unfair at times. I know that I act like a friend one moment and an enemy the next, justifying my contempt for the weaknesses of others, while arrogantly displaying my own envy, greed and pride, like a peacock on the prowl. Holy God, I have failed to live up to your standards of purity, and I need to be cleansed.

Show me your mercy, everlasting God, give me your strength. Do not count me as an enemy or allow me to be defeated by my sin. But help me to please you with all that I think, say and do. Keep me faithful through this life, that I might praise you forever and ever (Psalm 41).

Be my refuge. Be my strength. Give me health and burry your word deep in my heart (Psalm 51). Protect me all my enemies, within and without. Grant me your favor and give me victory through your Son. Do no turn your back on me and leave me in the darkness of my guilt and shame, because I have not forgotten you or your promise (Psalm 44)

I have not forgotten the love you have for your people. I have not forgotten the truth of your word. I have not forgotten the good news and hope that we are saved from your sins, by grace, through faith in Jesus.

Show us your will and give us the wisdom to understand who you are and what you call us to do. Give us the courage and strength to live a life that honors, glorifies, and pleases you. Give us patience to endure life’s trials with joy, as well as a thankful heart for your many blessings that you have given us through Jesus, who redeems us and forgives us (Colossians 1:1-14).

Through him I offer this prayer to you,
Amen.