Mercy Road Daily Prayer ~ Monday, May 2, 2011

Lord God,

I know you are guiding me because my heart truly desires to avoid evil and do what is good in your sight. Though I continually struggle with pride, lust, greed, envy, anger, selfishness and so on, I am content because I enjoy doing what your word tells me to do; when I do, I flourish and grow (Psalm 1:1-3)

Yet, I know that the world is still broken and messed up. I hear the news of nations at war, fighting over land and money, while children die in the streets. I see rulers, self-righteously lording over their people and making plans for their own benefit and gain. I know they all ignore your will, Lord God, and I long for the world to be free of such corruption and tyranny that everyone might know your grace and truth and find refuge in you (Psalm 2:1-3, 12).

Lord, there are so many dangers, toils, and snares in life, so many things that tempt me to walk away from you. When I stumble and fail, I know that others look down on me, and may even wonder whether my faith is real. I know they are critical of my faith, and yet you have shielded me from their criticisms. You have given me victory and held my head high (Psalm 3:1-3)

When I called to you, you answered me from your holy mountain. Interlude I lay down and slept, yet I woke up in safety, for the Lord was watching over me. I am not afraid of ten thousand enemies who surround me on every side. Arise, O Lord! Rescue me, my God! Slap all my enemies in the face! Shatter the teeth of the wicked! Victory comes from you, O Lord. May you bless your people. Interlude

Lord God, help me to walk in the light of your Son, Jesus Christ. Give me the courage to take his light into the darkness of the world were others are broken and hurting because of sin. Help me to live in your fellowship and invite other into your fellowship as well, that they might know the grace, truth, hope, and love that can only be found in you. (1 John 1:1-6)

I pray all these things through Jesus, my Lord and Savior,
Amen