Mercy Road Daily Prayer ~ Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Lord God,

Help me to trust you today, to obey your will and follow your way. Test my heart to see that everything I do is motivated by your truth and love. Remove the selfishness inside my heart and guard me from the things that seek to keep me from you. Help me, Lord, to live and innocent life for your glory and praise (Psalm 26).

Be my rock, Lord, be my rock, because I feel like I am sinking. Hear my prayers and respond because I feel alone. Do not be silent when I cry out for your mercy and grace. Do not allow me to be consumed by my sin or that of others. Help me, Lord to praise you with my heart. Be my strength and shield. Be my blessing and my song, for I know that you can save me. Give me victory over all that seeks to crush me and keep me from you. Rescue me Lord and bless me because I belong to you. Be my shepherd and carry me forever (Psalm 28).

For my sin continues to tempt me and my pride works against me to keep me from you. It causes me to think too much of myself and expect too much from others. It causes me to boast and brag, to be deceitful and jealous. It feeds my selfishness and turns my focus inward, away from you. My pride gives me a sense of entitlement, and justifies my envy when others do well. It validates my self-promotion, self-pity, self-righteousness, and self-love. My pride tries to convince me that I am you.

But you, O Lord, are nothing like me. Your love reaches to the heavens. Your faithfulness extends throughout the earth. Your goodness and grace are higher than any mountains, and your justice is wider, deeper and more vast than all the oceans combined. Your love for me is amazing, protecting me under the shadow of your wings. You are the giver of all good things, and all my blessings come from you (Psalm 36). Nothing compares to you, Lord God, nothing compares to your eternity and authority (Daniel 4:28-37).

Help me to guard my thoughts, words, and deeds, Lord God. Help me to be careful about what I do and say today (Psalm 39). Help me to love others just as you have loved me, to live a sacrificial life for your glory and their good, by your Spirit. Help me to confess that Jesus is my Lord and Savior, in whom I trust, so I can learn to love like him (1 John 4:7-12).

In his holy name I pray,
Amen.