Mercy Road Daily Prayer ~ Thursday, June 2, 2011

Lord God,

You are amazing and your name is wonderful because it reminds me of all the great and glorious things you have done for me. It reminds me of how you wrote your word on my heart as a child and gave me your Spirit to praise you. It reminds me of how you filled the night sky with the starts, the moon and the planets. It me of how you created me in your own image, and it humbles me to think that you care for me and give purpose and dignity to my life, blessing me with more than I deserve. Why, O Lord, do you love me so much? Why do you care? Though I am broken, selfish, and rebellious, you’ve given me everything I need to be satisfied in life and it reminds me of how amazing, wonderful, great and glorious you are (Psalm 8).

It gives me reason to be joyful. It gives me reason to praise. For you are my true Lord and King, the sovereign ruler over all your creation (Psalm 47).

You created the earth and made it prosper. You built your temple in the hearts of your people, and now you call us to be completely devoted to you. For you created us for that purpose. You created us to receive your blessing. You created us to make us right with you and to save us from all our sin and sorrow.

Like all your people, I try to obey and I look to you for help (Psalm 24), and yet I confess, at times, dear Lord, that I fall short of your wonderful purpose for my life, and more often than not, I fail to do your will. I fail to love you the way that I should, and I fail to love others as myself. I fail to tell them about who you are, or show them by example how you call us to live. I fail to trust you are with me at times (Matthew 28:16-20) and I fail to rely on your grace. I fail so often I wonder at times if I even believe what I say.

Yet I know gracious Lord, I am here right now praying this prayer to you, and I know if it weren’t for you grace in my life that would not be true. For without your grace in my heart, I would not desire more of it. Without your grace, I would not long to feel more of your presence in my life. Without your grace, I could not recognize my need for you, my own faults and failures, my brokenness and weakness. Without your grace, I could not see the many blessings you have given me and how much you care.

Though I don’t understand why you care for me God, it’s not difficult to see that it’s true: creating me in your image, surrounding me with love, providing for all my needs, and most importantly, save me from my sin through Christ’s death. You care so much for me that you sent Jesus to redeem me from my selfishness and sin so that I could be called, your child.

Lord God, I will tell others about your name and sing songs of praise to you. I will trust you are with me, even when I don’t feel it, because I know that is what you have promised to do. I will trust you to rescue me when I fail, and understand everything I go through. I will trust you to help me when I fall, and lead me back to you (Hebrews 2:5-18).

In Jesus’ name I pray,
Amen.