Mercy Road Daily Prayer ~ Wednesday, June 1, 2011


Lord God,
I love your word and I am thankful for what it teaches me. I think about it throughout the day, and try to live my life accordingly, but I confess that it’s a struggle. I admit that I don’t obey your word as I should, but often do whatever seems easiest or most favorable for me (Ps 119:97-99).
I often refuse to forgive others as I have been forgiven (Mt. 6:12; Col. 3:13), telling myself that the time is not right and they must first repent. I often fail to treat others fairly, though I know that you call me to do this as well (Mt. 18:21-35). I realize, Lord Jesus, that I do not love my enemies or pray for those who persecute me (Mt. 5:44), but instead hold grudges and wish ill upon them. And when I do l pray for them, I do so with a self-righteous pride in my own mercy, generosity and holiness.
I admit, that I do not give to the poor or needy as much as I should, because I am cynical and skeptical of their motives (Mt. 5:38-42, 6:1-4), nor do I give my life to you as a living sacrifice, because I am too concerned with my own comfort (Rm. 12:1-2). I confess, my heart is still full of greed, lust, envy, pride, worry, fear, and gossip, for though I do love your word, Lord Jesus, my actions demonstrate that I don’t always love you (Jn. 14:15).
Lord, Empty my heart of selfishness and fill it with a desire for you. Give me a thirst for your presence in my life, and fill me with your wisdom, so I can know you better. Help me to love you through my obedience and resist all evil from within and without. Guide my feet as I walk in your ways. Be my hope, my refuge, my strength, and my hearts delight (Ps. 119:100-120; Lk. 12:22-31; Jm. 5:13-18).
By your grace and for your glory, I pray all these things in Jesus’ holy name,
Amen