Mercy Road Daily Prayer ~ Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Lord God,

You are worthy of my praise. Your love, justice and goodness are beyond measure. Your laws are perfect, right and true. They tell me about your promises and keep me from evil. They expose my sin and selfishness, reminding me of my need for you. I love your laws, Lord God, more than all the wealth in the world. Help me to understand them Lord, so I can obey them better.

I try to do the right thing, Lord, and live a blameless life, but I need your help. I need your help because I struggle to obey you the way my heart longs to obey you, the way I know I should. I often fail to live with integrity at home, thinking that no one will be the wiser, but I know that I’m not fooling anyone, because you know that depths of my heart.

You know the vile and vulgar thoughts that enter my mind, the terrible things that hide in my heat. You know that bad things I say about others, the self-righteousness that makes me think I am better, and the resistance I have to serving and sacrificing for you the way you call me to. You see when I fail to challenge injustice, or speak out against hatred. You know how I fail to love those around me, especially those who I dislike for various insignificant reasons. You know how I am tempted to repay evil with evil, and see revenge on those who have wronged me. You know how I am prone to judge others as if I am perfect, or I am you.

God, listen to my prayers and do not be silent. Do not hold me to the same standard that I often hold others. Do not judge me the way I am prone to judge, but forgive me and help me to forgive. Demonstrate your grace to me and erase my sins from my record that I may do the same for others. Do not allow me to be unkind, but help me to bless as I have been blessed. Help me to see all the great things you have done in my life and give me a thankful heart instead of the ungrateful one I have right now. Rescue me from my own sin Sovereign Lord, and deal with me according to your mercy and unfailing love.

Please don’t let me be deceived by those that would seek to undermine me or draw me away from you, but give me discernment to know what you call me to do in all situations. Teach me your ways and guide me by the light of your word so I will not be overcome by evil or held back by my own sin.

As the pressure and stress of life bear down on me, help me to find joy in your commands. Look upon me with your love and show me how to love you better. Give me eyes to see you Lord, and send your Spirit to focus my mind on you. Take away my stony, stubborn heart and give me one that is tender and responsive to loving you through obedience. Then you will be my God and I will be one of your people.

By the grace of Jesus, my great, high priest, and for his glory I pray,
Amen
~Ps. 101, 109:1-30; 119:121-144; Ezek. 11:14-25; Luke 10:17-24; Heb. 7:1-17