Mercy Road Daily Prayer ~ Tuesday, July 12, 2011


Lord God,

I’ve tried to follow your ways and trust you in everything I do, but I admit that I have failed to do so. I confess that I have doubted your word and turned my heart from you truth. I know I have been selfish. I know I have been prideful. I know often rebelled against you grace. Yet, I pray, gracious God, that you will rescue me and defend my life. I pray you will redeem me and declare me innocent in your sight.

For, I try to do what is right in your eyes. I try to be honest, faithful, and true. I try to avoid those who lie, cheat, and steal. I refuse to condone their gossip, boasting and greed. Such people are selfish and think only of themselves, yet regrettably, Lord, I know I’m no better. I am a hypocrite, because I do all those things and more.

My thoughts and motives are tainted by sin; my fears and anxieties reveal my disbelief. Though I outwardly declare my innocence, proclaim my faith and thankfulness when I worship in church, I know my guilt is just below the surface, and I realize that I need to confess.

I know that I take your goodness for granted and forget the kindness, love and care you have shown me throughout my life. I know that I reveal my envy and greed when I grumble that you haven’t done enough for me lately and complain that others are so blessed. I know that I do not control my tongue very well, and often brandish more like a weapon of destruction than an instrument of healing and grace. I know that I make you out to be a liar when I say that I love you yet fail to demonstrate your love, or show your truth and grace to others.

Forgive me, Lord Jesus, as you forgave the paralyzed man at Capernaum. Heal me, so that I may walk with you. Do not cast me away from your presence, or condemn me to die for my selfishness and sin. But rescue me Lord, and redeem me. Show me your mercy, and the power you have to forgive.

Through the sacrifice of your Son Jesus, I pray, Amen.
~ Read Psalm 26; Mark 2:1-12