Mercy Road Daily Prayer ~ Thursday, August 18, 2011



Lord God,

I do not want to be arrogant. I do not want to look down on others. I do not want to be self-righteous, envious, or greedy, but instead, to be humble, and completely satisfied in you. So remember me, Lord, in the struggles I endure. Remember me and do not forget my desire to be faithful to you. Remember my efforts to glorify you, even though I often fail to do what I should or live the way you call me to live. Remember me, and do not abandon me when I am in need.

For you promised to give me rest. You promised to bring me joy. You promised to provide for my needs and satisfy my soul. You promised to give me salvation so that I can live in your presence, by the grace and mercy of your Son Jesus, who reigns as King over all the earth, forever, and ever.

Unify your people through him, Lord God. Bless your servants and the work that they do, that they might, in turn, be a blessing to you. Help us, Lord, to praise your name and demonstrate how grateful we are for your blessings. .

For we know, that you alone are good. We know that you are great above all. We know that you are sovereign over all the earth, bringing justice to the unjust and righteousness to those who call upon your name. We know, mighty God, that you endure forever, and ever, demonstrating compassion on
those who serve you, and blessing on those who respect your holy name.

Comfort those who are mourning today, the loss of loved ones to the evil enemy of death. Though we know, that you will, one day, give us victory over this vile curse, until then, the sting of its treachery and the pain of its destruction remains in our lives and makes our hearts heavy. And yet, life must go on, and you must be glorified. Even amidst our suffering and struggles, we must continue to live our lives with hope, knowing this is not how it’s supposed to be, so this is not how you will leave it.

Death will not be a part of our lives forever, but one day, it too will be completely undone through our hope, Jesus Christ. In him, our salvation is secure. Though he died for our sin and selfishness, while we were still his enemies, through his sacrifice, we are forgiven, just as David forgave his enemies after his son’s death. And in this forgiveness, we find life. A new life now, where we are no longer slaves to sin, and an eternal life later, when our bodies are no longer susceptible to death. He is our redemption, our resurrection and our life, and he is worthy of all our praise.

So help us, Lord, to love you with all your heart, soul, strength and mind. Help us to be dedicated and devoted to bringing you glory. Help us to obey your commands to love you, because of your great love for us, And help us to love our neighbors, more than we love ourselves. Help us to give sacrificially that your work might be done. Help us to serve without complaint that your glory might be known.

Help us to live our lives like Christ, in Christ, though Christ, in whose name we pray, Amen.
~Read Psalm 131, 132, 133, 134, 135; 2 Samuel 19:1-23; Mark 12:28-34; Acts 24:1-23