Mercy Road Daily Prayer ~ Wednesday, August 31, 2011



Gracious God,

Do not desert me or scold me in anger. Do not discipline me in your justified wrath. For I know my selfishness is offensive to you. I recognize my heart is filled with sin. I know that you hate my pride and my lust, my jealousy, envy, malice and greed. I know that my best thoughts are like trash in your site, but I cannot bear the weight of your displeasure any longer, nor the curse of my sin on my health.

I am overwhelmed by my own foolish sin. It is far too much for me to bear. Though it seems good at first, it damages my soul and leaves me in pain until I am virtually crushed under the weight of its consequences.

Lord God, you know the desires of my heart, because nothing is hidden from you. Not even my deepest wounds or darkest despair is concealed from your view. You know that my heart races with anxiety, and my strength is nearly gone. You know that I feel like I’m lost because I cannot see you. Not even my closest friends or family help with struggles for fear of being dragged into my troubles. But you Lord, you know what I go through, so I wait patiently for your answer.

I confess, gracious God, that I’m not worthy of your help, nor even your passing gaze, which is far greater than I deserve. Yet, I know you will never forsake me, nor remain far from me in my troubles, because you are my Salvation, and I cling to the hope in your word.

When I told you my troubles, you answered me Lord, and showed me the works of your hands. Now teach me your ways, and show me your plans that I might walk closer to you. Keep me from wandering away from you, and help stay close to your truth. Melt all the sorrows away from my heart with the hope found only in you.

I have tried to be faithful and obedient Lord, to follow your rules and love your commands. I will cling to the promise you made in your word, and follow your will to the end. So, give me understanding, that I may keep your law and observe it with all of my heart. Lead me in the path of your righteousness and help me to delight in it. Turn me away from selfishness and greed, away from all the worthless things in life, and help me to give my life over to you.

Shower your unfailing love upon me today, and give me an extra portion of your grace that I might spread it around to others. Help me to declare the your promises of your salvation to any who might not know you, and give me an opportunity to love those I find unlovable.

Give me your great wisdom Lord, not for my glory, but for yours, that I might speak of your truth and apply it to my life in such a way that others will be unable to deny who you are. Work in my Lord, and tame my tongue, to say only those things that are true, edifying to others and glorifying to you. Fill my heart with righteousness, so that nothing but righteousness flows from my mouth. And help me to be a living sacrifice for you, since you were willing to sacrifice yourself for me.
In your name I pray, Lord Jesus, Amen.

~Read Psalm 38, 119:25-48; 1 Kings 9:24-10:13; James 3:1-12; Mark 15:1-11