Mercy Road Daily Prayer ~ Monday, September 19, 2011



Lord God,

I pray to you hoping you will hear me. I speak out loud hoping you listen to my call for help. When things are going poorly, I come to you for comfort. I reach out for you, longing to know you are there. Even so, when I think of you, Lord, all I can do is sigh, because my spirit feels restless and weak. My heart is anxious and burdened with trouble, and I don’t really know what to say to you.

When I think about the things, you’ve done in the past for your people, Lord, my heart lightens a bit as I see how you cared for them and provided for their needs. Nevertheless, my heart sinks again when I think about my troubles and wonder if you have rejected me or left me to suffer for a reason I do not understand. Have you stopped loving me Lord? Does your promise no longer apply? Surely, your grace has not been exhausted, so it must be something that I’ve done, that causes me to feel this way. But truthfully, what grieves me most of all, is that your blessing seems to have vanished, and that you no longer seem to care.

With nothing more left to do, I return to your word again, gracious God, hoping that it will lift my spirit. Hoping that the knowledge of your wonderful works of the past will bolster my confidence in you once more. For, I know your way is holy, Lord God. I know your strength is endless. I know your power will redeem me from my sin and its consequences, if only I could feel that confidence once again. I long for my heart to feel your presence once more, and respond to you the way all creation responds to your glory.

Please, Lord, don’t let me fall apart. Don’t let me come to ruin. Don’t ignore me while I suffer so that I look like a fool for my faith. Don’t stay angry at me Lord, for something that’s happened in the past, but pour out your compassion and show me your love, because I need something to life me up.

Help me, my Savior and God, help me bring praise to you. Forgive all my sins and save, for the glory and honor of your name. Do not leave me to flounder so that others might say, “Where is your God?” Or, “Why doesn’t he answer?” But accomplish your wonderful works once more, and show yourself to be mighty.

Hear my plea for help, and preserve me by your power. Because of your great love for me, Lord God, reveal yourself to those who doubt my faith, so I can praise you forever. Purify my heart of the anger and self-righteous pride I feel towards those who have betrayed me, and let me go to them in humility, to seek the reconciliation you died to make possible. Make me a fool once more for your Kingdom, that your truth and grace might be demonstrated in my life, for your glory and honor.

By the name of your Son, Jesus Christ, I pray, Amen

~Read: Psalm 77, 79, (80); (2 Kings 5:1-19); Matthew 5:21-26; 1 Corinthians 4:8-21