Mercy Road Daily Prayer ~ Tuesday, October 11, 2011



Gracious God,

Hear me when I pray to you and see how much I struggle. Acknowledge my cries for help and respond, just as you do when I worship you. Just as you do when I serve. For I know, you are a God, who delights in justice and mercy. I know you despise all arrogance and pride. I know you hate falsehood and greed, and everything else I do that contradicts your goodness and love.

Yet, because of your great love for me, you still permit me to approach you and seek forgiveness for my sin. You still allow me to worship you in awe of your glory and holiness. So lead me in your righteousness and show me what to do, Lord. Show me how to worship you once more that I might be safe from the insults and slander of my enemies. Repel them from your presence because of their rebellion, but let me take refuge in you.

For I live to worship you, Lord. I exist to bring you glory. Demonstrate you glory in my life and do not rebuke me because of my faults. Do not be angry about my failures, but be gracious to me Lord, because I struggle without you.

My heart hurts when you are not near me. My mind is anxious when I cannot feel your presence. It causes me to wonder if you have abandoned me in my selfishness. It makes me worry that you have turned your back because of my sin. It makes me think that my greed and envy, my anger and pride, my lust, my coveting, my gossip, and my self-righteousness, have finally gone too far and caused you to reject me once and for all.

Don’t stay away from me Lord. Don’t leave me to fend for myself. Don’t hide your face or withdraw your blessing from my life, because I am lost without you. My life is spinning out of control and need you to be my focal point. So, please Lord, if it’s not too late, rescue me because of your great love for me. Save me from the messes I’ve made, and the trouble I have caused for myself.

Do not leave me alone to waste away ad suffer in despair, because I confess my sin. I admit I need you more than I need companionship, food, water, or air. I recognize that I am broken and am aware of my sin. I know I need your grace more than anything else, so please, hear me when I cry out for help.

Don’t let me get caught in the wake of my selfishness. Don’t let me be crushed by my pride. Don’t let me boast like the wicked who say that their sins are less wretched than mine. But help me Lord, to take full responsibility for my own sin. Help me to accept the consequences of my actions. Help me to recognize that when there are problems, it is not just someone else’s fault, but that I am equally to blame.

I will rely on your mercy and justice. I will depend on your word for direction. I will look to your Son for forgiveness and grace, and stand on your word as my truth.

By your grace and for your glory, I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.


~Read: Psalm 5, 6, 10, 11; Jeremiah 36:27-37:2; 1 Corinthians 14:1-12; Matthew 10:16-23 ESV)