Mercy Road Daily Prayer ~ Tuesday, November 8, 2011


Open my ears to your word, Lord God. Help me to hear your instructions. Apply them to my life and teach me your hidden truths, so I might teach my children to hope in you and faithfully obey. Never let me forget your great works or the wonderful things you have done, but remind me each day how you rescue me and save me from destruction.

Forgive me, Lord, when I test you; do not reject me for my sin, for my flesh is ready, but my spirit is rebellious. Though a part of my heart truly loves you and desires to worship and serve, the other part—the dominant part—is so obsessed with comfort and pleasure, it rebels when you ask it to sacrifice. It grumbles when life becomes difficult and openly criticizes you for not doing more. It wallows in the mire of its own self-pity, refusing to be comforted by your promises of relief.

Forgive me Lord, when I grumble. Forgive me when I doubt and complain. Soften my hard heart that I might gratefully receive what you have in store for me, then open the skies once again and rain down your blessing upon me. Do not let me be like those you rescued from Egypt, who griped about everything you did for them, but give me a heart like Jesus, that I might worship and serve you out of love. Do not let your anger rise against me, but instead, redeem me from my sin and make me believe.

Pour out your love and compassion upon me. Pardon my inequity and sin. Restrain your just anger against my selfishness, and restore my soul. Remember the grace and mercy you promised, and do not forget that I am only flesh and bones. Try as I may, I cannot be holy, so I beg you, please, spare me from the judgment I deserve.

As it is, Lord, I am overwhelmed by the problems my sins cause. You know the troubles that they produce and the pain they inflict on myself and others. You’ve seen how my own self-righteousness keeps me from forgiving those who hurt me. You recognize when my pride keeps me from admitting I'm wrong. You understand that my greed makes me expect better treatment from others than I often give them. You realize that my apathy and laziness keep me from putting in the work necessary to make my relationships strong. You know the damage that my sin does to my life. You understand the pain my selfishness causes. So certainly, you realize, my Lord and my God, that I don’t want to stay this way, but ultimately want to be healed by you.

Save me, gracious and merciful God, from the hurt that I cause, and the hurt that is caused to me. Help me to forgive others, as I have been forgiven by you. Convict my heart when I am being rebellious, and reveal my disobedience and sin. Deliver me according to your mercies that I might do the work you have sent me to do. Do not forsake me, and never leave me, but keep the promise of unfailing love that your Son, Jesus, demonstrated when he died on the cross to redeem me from my sins, by the power of your Spirit, who lives in me, and enables me to pray all these things, in Jesus’ name. Amen, and Amen!

~ Read: Psalm 78:1-72; Nehemiah 9:26-38; Revelation 18:9-20; Matthew 15:21-28