Mercy Road Daily Prayer ~ Thursday, December 22, 2011



Lord God,

My Shepherd and my King, enthroned high above in glory, come now, and show us your power. Save us from the greed, selfishness, and idolatry. Rescue us from the consumerism of these days, so we might be reconciled to you. Renew our souls and let your face shine upon us, so we can see your glory. Do not leave us here to pray for endless advent seasons, but come now, Lord Jesus, and wipe away the tears of our sorrow, guilt, shame, and fear. Restore us, and rescue us, just as you did when you rescued your people from their slavery in Egypt.

Establish your people, mighty God. Help us to take root and grow where you have planted us, so we can minister to others and worship you. Do not let us be defeated, but look to us and bless us, so we can flourish and thrive for your glory. Let your hand be upon us and make us strong. Give us life, so we can call on you, and be restored.

For, all my hope comes from you. All that I believe is based in your promise. I will not hope in political solutions or worldly knowledge. I will not look to wealth or popularity for the contentment I seek; for those things cannot give me what my heart desires. They cannot provide the peace and salvation that I truly need.

When I die, all my plans will die with me, and my body will be put in the grave, but you can save me from that awful fate, so I’ll put my hope in you, Lord God; for you created the heaven’s and the earth. You supply faith and sustain it. You give justice to the oppressed and food the hungry, freedom to the captives and sight to the blind. Gracious God, you lift up those who are humble and demonstrate your love to your people. You watch over the traveler, befriend the lonely, sustain the weary, and defend the weak. You call the broken, hopeless, and confused to yourself so that you can heal their wounds and build them up by your grace. You are great, O Lord my God, and you are worthy of all my worship.

Give me a thankful heart to praise you today. Help me to live for your glory. Care for me just as you do the flowers of the field and let me delight in your provision. Give me peace in my heart and the untiring desire to know you and your word that I might serve you better; for I know that I need you. I know that I have nothing without you. Therefore, bless me today, and you have blessed me in the past. Demonstrate your greatness in my life once more, so my life will glorify you.

For the sake of your Son, Jesus Christ, I pray, Amen.

~Read: Psalm 80, 146, 147; 2 Samuel 7:18-29; Galatians 3:1-14; Luke 1:57-66