Mercy Road Daily Prayer ~ Tuesday, December 13, 2011


~Read: Psalm 45, 47, 48; Zechariah 2; Revelation 3:14-22; Matthew 24:32-44

Lord God,

When I think of your love for me, my heart overflows with worship, and my mouth opens up in praise; for you are more glorious and beautiful than all creation. You are a blessing to all people, more wonderful than any can imagine.

Mighty God, demonstrate your sovereignty, and rule over all things with justice and mercy. Display your great power over the earth and make your truth known throughout the world. Show me how you love what is righteous and hate what is evil. Teach me to walk in the light of your truth and grace. Accept my worship and praise.

For you are the great King over all the earth. You are the ruler over all. You are holy, righteous, compassionate and fair in everything you do. Forgive me when I think otherwise. Forgive me when I grumble and complain that you aren’t treating me fairly. I don’t really mean it. I know you would never do treat me poorly because I know you love me and care for me. I know you will not abandon or forsake me, because you, Lord God, are always just, kind, and good to your people. You are awesome, Lord God, and you are worthy of all praise.

At the same time, Lord, I know I can’t compare to your holiness. I’m fully aware of the fact that I do not measure up to your perfect standard. Though I try to do what is right and fair, even my best works are tainted by my ulterior motives and self-righteousness. The love and grace I demonstrate to others are contingent upon the love and grace they show me. I am merciful to those who show me mercy. I am generous to those who demonstrate generosity to me. I am humble, helpful, patient, and kind to those who treat me the same way, and I know that is not how you are towards me.

When I rebel against you, you correct me. When I run away, you pursue me. When I try to hide, you find me, and call me back to yourself. Though I treat others with contempt and arrogance, you are always patient, compassionate, and kind to me Lord; and I thank you for that and beg your forgiveness.

Do not let me be lukewarm for the gospel Lord. Do not let me be a hypocrite. Do not let me say one thing and do another, but let me live for your glory and honor. Let me demonstrate my love for you through my obedience. Do not let me become complacent in the comfort of this life, but push me out of my comfort zone. Help me to do something that will force me to trust you more and more.

Correct my apathy because you love me. Do not let me be confident in myself, but let me only be confident in you, and what Christ accomplished on my behalf when he suffered and died on the cross for my sins.

In his holy and majestic name I pray, Amen.