Mercy Road Daily Prayer & Bible Reading ~ Thursday, January 5, 2012


~ Read Genesis 7-8

Lord God,

Teach me your ways, O Lord, so I can follow you. Show me your will, so I can obey. Do not let me stray from the path you’ve set before me, but guide me so that I can continue to obey you and walk in your way. Direct everything that I do, so I might honor to you.

For you, Lord God, deserve all the glory. You are worthy of my worship and praise. You bless me, and provide for my needs. You watch over me, and protect me, according to your goodness and love. You demonstrate your grace and shower me with your mercy. In your great compassion, you rescue me from the trouble I face, and save me from wickedness that threatens to overwhelm. You are too kind to me Lord, far better than I deserve. You preserve my life and the lives of those I love.

Thank you, Lord, for the great things you do in my life. Thank you for the way you keep me secure. Thank you for the blessing of my family and friends, for the love that we share, and the encouragement we give one another. They are important to me Lord, because they reflect my relationship with you.

Remember me, Lord, when troubles arise and threaten to sink me. Do not overlook the struggles I face when life is not going the way that I planned, and things are falling apart around me. Protect me from the temptation to take the easy road, or the urge to put my own comfort over your will; for the temptation to do so is great when my troubles arise, and I am often too weak to resist.

Forgive me, Lord, when I stray from your will for my life. Forgive me when I do what I know I shouldn’t do. Forgive me, gracious God, when I fail to show your mercy to others, or demonstrate your grace. Forgive me when I see someone struggling with the consequences of their sins, and coldly tell myself, that they got what they deserve. Forgive me when I fail to see their sin in light of my own.

I know my own arrogance, Lord. I recognize my pride. I understand that I would be in their shoes if it were not for my relationship with you; for clearly I am also a sinner. I am no different than anyone else. I too can be mean, spiteful, stubborn, and harsh, lazy, gluttonous, selfish, and so on. I am broken as well, and need your forgiveness and grace more than anyone I know.

So, forgive me, Lord, and do not let me drown in a sea of self-righteousness and false piety. Forgive me, and crush the vanity, greed, and envy of my heart. Do not brush me off when I turn to materialistic pursuits for contentment, but take hold of my heart again and turn me back to you.

I will never forget how you saved me, Lord. I will not forget the great love you showed through Jesus Christ, my Lord.

Amen