Mercy Road Daily Prayer & Bible Reading ~Friday, January 13, 2012

~ Read Job 7-8 Text, Audio

Lord God,

Why is life so hard? Why is it such a struggle? I work so hard yet never get ahead, sometimes it just feels pointless. There is always something that needs to be done, or re-done, I can’t stop thinking about all the things I need to accomplish. Even when I sleep, I’m thinking about my to-do list, and it makes my sleep restless. Life is moving so fast, I don’t know if I can keep up, and I’m running out of the energy to try.

Lord, please don’t forget me, I beg you; for my life is brief, and my troubles rob me of joy. Don’t let me be swallowed up by my insecurities, and fears. Don’t let me be crushed by my guilt, and selfishness. Hear my distress, merciful God, and rescue me from my strife and sin.

Give my life meaning, Lord; for apart from you, I have none. Without the truth of your grace, I am simply a person working toward the grave, day-by-day, without any hope of what lies beyond. But I know you are mindful of me. I know you are concerned for all your people. Though I do not understand why you allow all our rebellions and sin, I know that you have a plan for me, that includes salvation by your grace, through faith, in Jesus.

Forgive me, Lord, when I am bitter and hostile to you. Forgive me when I am filled with questions and doubts. Do not hold my weakness and failures against me, but guide me through them, so that I can see you more clearly. Don’t refuse to forgive my selfishness or wash away the guilt of my sin, but help me to trust in you once again, just as I did when I first learned of your great love for me.

I know that you are power Lord. I know that you are just. I know that you hold the guilty accountable for their sin. I know you will restore those who turn to you for forgiveness and redemption.

My time on earth is short; I know, and I don’t want to waste it in bitterness, envy, hatred, greed, sorrow, fear, or strife. I’d rather spend it worshiping you, for all the great things you have done in my life. So, I pray you will help me Lord, that I might do this for you. Renew my joy, build up my faith, and give me peace, through the power of your Spirit living in me, through whom I pray, in Jesus’ name, Amen.