Mercy Road Daily Prayer & Bible Reading ~ Friday, January 27, 2012

~ Read Job 27-28  Text, Audio

Lord God,

It’s funny how your word works in me, how a passage can speak one thing to me one day, and something different the next. Though your truth never changes, it changes me, enabling me to see more clearly how it applies to my life. As a result, one day, I complain like Job and proclaim my innocence, but the very next, I beg your forgiveness for my sin and selfishness. Thank you Lord, for the freedom to come directly to you and speak what is on my heart and in my mind without the fear of condemnation or rejection. You are truly, an awesome God, and your mercy is far beyond my comprehension.

I know I have no hope outside of you, Lord. I realize there is no possibility of forgiveness apart from your grace. That’s why I bring my failure and confessions to you, because I know I need you. Though my heart is often tempted to cry “foul,” and declare my innocence before you, I know full well, that I am a sinner in need of the healing, grace, and forgiveness you provide through Jesus Christ; for it was my sin, that nailed him on the cross. It was my selfishness that held him there.

Lord, I pity those who do not recognize how broken they are, and thus, fail to confess their failures to you, for outside of Christ, they can never know the freedom from guilt you provide, nor the healing that comes through forgiveness. They can never hear you say, well done good and faithful servant, this day you will be with me in paradise. Though it saddens my heart, it spurs my mind to action.

Help me Lord, today, and every-day hereafter, to live in such a way; that others are drawn to you. Make me eager to listen, first to forgive, able to heal, and willing to demonstrate your grace, even in the most trying of circumstances. Help me not to compare my troubles with others, as if their suffering were some how less burdensome to them, but give me eyes to look upon everyone with the same compassion that you look upon me. Help me Lord, to glorify you in everything I think, say, and do.

Thank you Lord, for not casting me off with the rebellious and wicked. Thank you for saving me from my sin. Thank you for freeing me from my bondage to by selfishness, greed, envy, and pride. Thank you for loving me despite the way I am. Do not leave me this way, but continue to change me now, and each following day, by the power of your Spirit, for the sake of your Son, Jesus Christ, my Lord, and my Savior.

In his name I pray, Amen.