Mercy Road Daily Prayer & Bible Reading ~ Monday, January 30 , 2012

~ Read Job 29-30 Text, Audio

Lord God,

A part of me longs for the past, for a time when life was easier and less stressful. It’s not that I necessarily desire to be young again, but I do wish I could go back to a time when the biggest problem was determining what I wanted to be when I got out on my own. Back then, I was young; my faith was fresh and untested by the pain of living in a broken world. In those days, I thought I could do anything because I knew you would take care of me. Back then I felt invincible.

Though I have no doubt, you still care for me, Lord, you know the troubles and trials I’ve seen in my life. You know that pain I’ve experienced. Suffice to say, now I recognize that life doesn’t always work out the way I thought it should or wished it would. Sometimes, life is painful and difficult.

When loved ones get sick and die, relationships fall apart, jobs get phased out, and much of what we hoped our lives would be, never comes to fruition, it’s tempting to give up and give in to the suffering, guilt, shame and pain that are the consequence of living in a fallen world.

Lord, how I wish my life could be like it was before, when my faith was still new, before tragedy stole my optimism and the sinfulness of man made me a cynic. How I wish I could go back to that period in my life when you felt so much closer, I remember clearly what it was like.

Though I still had my troubles, back then life was good. I was exited by new challenges, and I had all the energy in the world to tackle them. I had no fear, for I knew you were with me Lord, making my endeavors successful, and providing for my every need. I always felt safe and secure, because I knew you were protecting me from harm.

But now things are different, Lord, and life is more complicated than it used to be. While you have not changed, my circumstances have. My troubles and stress have increased, and are slowly wearing me down. The consequences of my past sin and selfishness have caught up with me, and now I’m struggling to undo the damage they’ve caused. Every single day serves as a growing reminder, of how much I need you and how little I can do without you.

Lord God, I know you understand the troubles I face. I know you recognize the suffering, and pain of this fallen world; so I pray you won’t be silent as I call out to you. I pray you won’t be angered by my prayer; for it’s not my intent to complain about the life you have given me. Nor am I trying to dismiss the blessings you’ve given. I realize that many of my troubles are brought on by my own selfishness. I recognize that no one else is to blame.

As the same time, I also know, that you are a gracious, merciful, and mighty God, whose loves me and promises to save me from my sin, through Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior, Amen.