Mercy Road Daily Prayer & Bible Reading ~ Friday, February 10, 2012

~ Read Genesis 16-17 Text, Audio

Lord God,

Why do I question your provision? Why do I doubt your care? Why do I worry as if you will fail me, and leave me to face life’s challenges alone? For I know you are not an uncaring, God. I know you are not callous or unjust. I know that you keep your promises to your people, because I’ve seen how you do so in your holy word. I’ve read about the plans you have for your people, and seen the way you preserve them through good times and bad; so I believe you will do the same for me. Please help my unbelief.

Help me to trust in your promises. Help me believe in your word. Give me confidence in the plans that you have for my life, and show me how your purposes are good. Lord, keep me doing my own thing when I’m afraid to follow you. Don’t let me stray just because I can’t see what you are doing. I want to believe that you are working all things out for my good and your glory, but I confess, sometimes it’s just so difficult to do so.

Sometimes, Lord, it’s difficult to trust you when things aren’t going the way I’d hoped. It’s hard to believe when things aren’t going as planned. When money is tight, relationships are strained, and life is so stressful I feel like I’ll snap. When my kids are struggling, my friends are in need, and I’m the only one they can lean on. When those I love, let me down, and the plans I’d made, crash to the ground. I confess, I struggle to trust you, though I truly want to believe. I just can’t do it by myself, Lord. Please help my unbelief.

Help me to trust in your plans for my life, because I know, they are so much better than my own. Give me the strength to resist the temptation to choose my own path, and go it alone. I don’t want to do that, Lord. I’ve tried that way before, and as you know, it always gets me in trouble, because it always leads me to sin. It never fails. Whenever I think, I know better than you, I regret it.

Lord, I don’t want to be like Abraham. I don’t want to be like Sari. I don’t want to doubt your promises or make a huge mess of my life by doing my own thing. I want to trust you. I want to believe. Please, help my unbelief today.

In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.