Mercy Road Daily Prayer & Bible Reading ~ Thursday, February 16, 2012

~ Read Genesis 24-25 Text, Audio

Come close to me, Lord, and bless me, as you blessed your servant Abraham. Don’t stay far from my heart, but remain in my every thought throughout the day. Let me see your Spirit at work in everything I do; let the words of my mouth, and the actions I take, bring glory and honor to you.

Gracious God, when Abraham sent his chief servant to find a wife for his son Isaac, you demonstrated your sovereignty and providence over all things by giving him success. You showed us the way you care for your people by fulfilling the promise you made, and I pray you will do the same for me today.

Give me success in whatever I do for your glory. Demonstrate your power in my life. Provide for me all that you promised through your Son, Jesus Christ, who died to set me free from the power of sin, and rose to give me victory over death.

I confess, Lord, that I am guilty of sinning against you. I admit that I am rebellious and broken. I am selfish, prideful, greedy, hypocritical, immature, foolish, and self-righteous. Though I know that my sins are forgiven by grace through faith in Jesus, sometimes I behave as though my good words and deeds are enough to make you love me; and at other times, I convince myself that my right doctrine and belief require you to save me.

Of course, I know that none of that is true, yet I regularly act like it is. I often live as if I’m in control of my life and salvation, but I wish that weren’t the case. To be honest, Lord God, I don’t want to be in control of my life because I inevitably make things worse. Whenever I try to chart my own course, or make my own plans separate from your will for my life, it’s disastrous and painful, just as it would have been for Abraham had he not believed your promise and trusted you.

So once again, Lord, I pray that you will give me success today, in whatever I do for YOUR glory. Bless my words so your truth is made clear in every syllable I utter Guide the actions I take, that they might demonstrate your grace and truth to all who are around me. Use me today for your glory and bless me, just as you promised to do.

In the name of Jesus I pray, Amen