Mercy Road Daily Prayer & Bible Reading ~ Thursday, February 23, 2012

~ Read Genesis 34-35 Text & Audio

Lord God,

You are holy and righteous. You are faithful and kind. You are merciful and just in everything you do, and your steadfast love will endure forever. Gracious God, you are worthy of all glory and honor. You deserve all my worship and praise.

There is no other God besides you, Lord. Nothing in heaven or on earth compares to your majesty. Nothing matches your beauty, wisdom, and power. Nothing this world has to offer satisfies the deepest longings of my heart, because nothing compares to you.

Though I often waste my time chasing such things, pursuing them as if they were gods, in the end, they never live up to my expectations. Though they make me happy for a time, they cannot bring me the lasting joy I hoped for. They always let me down in the end. The hobbies I pursue always grow dull. The knowledge I gain always gets old; and the things I attain always break down. Even the people I love eventually disappoint me, as I'm sure I disappoint them as well. Lord, everything on this earth eventually fails to satisfy my heart's desires because nothing compares to you.

Bless me, gracious God, because I truly long for you. Satisfy the desires of my heart as only you can. Help me not to look to the things of this world for my contentment, but turn me always to you, that I might know and experience your peace and joy. Bless me, Lord God, that I might be a blessing to you. Fulfill the promises you've made to your people, and glorify yourself through my life.

Forgive me, Lord God, when I harbor resentment toward those who have wronged me, as Jacob's sons did. Do not give me over to my sinful desires for revenge. Remember the sacrifice your Son made for me when I pursue justice without mercy, and speak the truth without love, for I know I am a sinner in need of redemption. I realize I am a hypocrite who needs your grace. Change my spirit and make it new. Turn my heart back to you. Forgive me and help me to forgive. Save me that I might live.

In the name of Jesus I pray, Amen.