Mercy Road Daily Prayer & Bible Reading ~ Friday, February 24, 2012

~ Read Genesis 36-37 Text & Audio

Lord God,

I love the story of Joseph's life, because it reminds me of your providence and care. It shows me how you work all things together for the good in my life; and it reveals your sovereignty over everything in creation. It gives me great comfort to know, Lord God, that you are in control of my life. It gives me peace to know that I am not a victim of circumstances or random fate, but a dearly loved child in the hands of a gracious and mighty Father, who wants what is best for me, and watches over me day and night. It gives me comfort and peace to know these things, Lord; and yet, I still need so much more, because my heart is anxious, restless, and weak.

It's not that I doubt your love for me, or question whether you care; but I know the troubles I could face in my life, and I confess that I fear the suffering I might endure. I've seen that pain others have experienced, and it causes my heart to tremble. My spirit grows faint when I consider the despair that I've seen. It scares me, Lord, to think of a loved one being seriously ill; and I fear what would happen if I lost my job. I worry about the safety of my children, the health of my friends, the strength of my marriage, and so on. Though I know that my worry harms me, Lord, and I have no real reason to fear, I confess that it's hard not to think about, dear Lord, because I see so much of it around me every day.

It's difficult not to worry about life's troubles or grow tired from the struggles. It's hard not to feel overwhelmed by all my own commitments, obligations, as well as the expectations that others place on me. It's impossible not to be stressed. You know, merciful God, that I want to trust you more. I really do want to believe; but I confess I am weak, and broken by sin, so I simply cannot do it myself. I need you to make my faith stronger, Lord God. I need you to help my unbelief.

I need you to redeem my story, just as you redeemed to story of Joseph. I need you to show yourself to be Sovereign over-all creation, and Sovereign over my life. I don't need more money. I don't need more fame. I don't need success as defined by this world. I just need to know that you are with me in the struggles that I face, and working them out for your glory.

If I could ask one thing of you today, Father God, that would be my request. Give me eyes to see what you are doing, and the faith to follow wherever you lead, through Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior. Amen.