Mercy Road Daily Prayer & Bible Reading ~ Monday, February 26, 2012

~ Read Genesis 38-39 Text & Audio

Lord God, Creator of heaven and earth,

What can I say of your justice? What can I say of your truth? No one is righteous like you, Sovereign God. No one compares to your holiness. You reveal the selfish desires of my heart, and drive out my wicked motives with your truth. You do not tolerate my pride and arrogance, but expose them for what they are, and prune them from my life like a gardener trimming a tree. You sanctify me, Lord, and purify my soul; yet, you are not cruel, unfair, or unjust, as I often am toward those who have wronged me. Your mercy is matchless and your forgiveness beyond compare. Your patience and love are more abundant than the stars in the sky, and your grace covers all my sin.

Forgive me, Lord, when my heart is unfocused, and my plans more important than you. Forgive me when I'm bitter and mean, sarcastic, proud and unfair. Forgive me when I arrogantly assume that my wisdom is superior and right. Forgive me when I grumble and complain that my life's been unfair and unkind. Forgive me when I can't see your blessings because I'm too wrapped up in myself. Forgive me when I resist your grace because I don't want to admit my own sin and brokenness. Forgive me when I am cynical and harsh to those I'm supposed to love. Forgive me when I criticize others of the sin they commit, but fail to see the same sin in myself. Forgive me when I am not like Jesus in the things I think, feel, say, or do.

My heart is convicted Lord, by Judah's hypocrisy, and how I am often the same. So help me to change the way that I am, and remove all the sin from my heart. Sanctify me, through and through, by the work of your Holy Spirit, and make me righteous and true. Give me the wisdom to see my own faults, and strength to give up my sin. Purge all my prideful and selfish desires, that I might be a better reflection of Christ.

Help me, Lord God, look past the offenses of others to see your work in their lives. Give me the grace to forgive what they've done, just as you have forgiven me. I don't want to be bitter, Lord; I don't want to be mad. I don't want to be cynical or anything of the sort. I just want to live in obedience to you, and love you the way you expect.

Gracious God, be with my family, my neighbors, and my friends, my community, my state, and my country. Convict our hearts of the selfishness and sins that often drive us, and divide us. Unify us through the work of your Spirit, not for the sake of prosperity or peace, but simply for the sake of your glory and honor, that your Kingdom might go forth, and your reign might be recognized by all of creation, both now, and forevermore.

In the name of our Mighty King, and Savior, Jesus Christ, we pray. Amen.