Mercy Road Daily Prayer & Bible Reading ~ Tuesday, March 13, 2012

~ Read Exodus 9-10

Lord God,

You hear the cries of your people. You know the sorrow and grief they experience, and you do not remain silent. You go to them in their suffering. You heal them of their guilt and pain; for you are a great and mighty God, righteous in everything you do, and compassionate beyond compare. Nothing diminishes your love for your people. Nothing stops your desire for them to worship you.

For that is our purpose. That is the reason we exist. We were created to glorify you and enjoy you forever, to worship you and rejoice in your blessings. We must do so, or all creation will, because your holiness must be worshiped. Your glory must be proclaimed. One way or another, you must be exalted as Lord of all creation, because that is who you are, and that is what you call me to do.

You call me to worship each week with your people, and live my life in such a way that you are honored by everything I think, say, and do. You challenge me to tell others about your truth and grace, so that they too may worship you; and you expect me to obey your commands as a way of demonstrating my love. Worship is very important to you; I know, because that was the reason you repeatedly gave for Israel's release.

Unfortunately, Lord, confess that I am not a very good worshiper. Though I'd like to believe otherwise, I am frequently a poor example of your grace and truth. I have an elevated view of myself, and a diminished view of others. I am frequently impatient, unbearably self-righteous, and reluctant to admit when I am wrong, at least not without trying justifying myself.
I don't like being corrected, and I hate being challenged because I am certain I am always right. I am often blind to the needs of others because I am too focused on my own desires, and I have trouble seeing the many things others have done for me. I am selfish, overly critical, hypocritical, and arrogant.

That's me, in a nutshell, Lord. Sometimes, most of the time, I am the last person you would want to represent your truth and grace; and yet, for some reason, that I don't understand, you call me out of my slavery to worship you. You rescue me from my sin and selfishness so that I can bring you glory. You heal the brokenness inside my heart and restore my relationships; and you humble my heart through your forgiveness so that I can offer the same to those who have sinned against me.

Lord God, help me to worship you today. Teach me to pray for my enemies, to forgive those who have offended me, and to love those who have treated me poorly. Help me to be thankful for the many blessings I've been given, and to be content in the life you have given me. Keep me faithful and make my heart humble and true, as I seek to glorify and honor you.

Through Jesus Christ, and the power of his Spirit, I pray, Amen.

www.mercy-road.org