Mercy Road Daily Prayer & Bible Reading ~ Wednesday, March 28, 2012

~ Read Exodus 31-32

Lord God,

Fill me with your Spirit today. Give me the skills, knowledge, and abilities I need to do everything you have called me to do. Give me joy and satisfaction in the work that I do. Whether I am helping someone with a problem, paying bills, filing papers, writing memos, mowing the lawn, cleaning the house, studying, answering phones, fixing an appliance, correcting papers, or what have you, help me to honor and glorify you. Give my work purpose and make productive for the benefit of others, and the glory of your Son.

At the same time, Lord, please give me rest in you. Help me to observe the Sabbath, not just one day each week, but every day, every hour, every minute of my life. Take me off of the performance treadmill I've been stuck on for so long and remind me that I do not have to earn your forgiveness. Assure my heart that I am saved by grace, through faith in, Jesus Christ, and by the things that I do.

Lord, give me rest, and peace in you. Do not let me forget that I am not my job. I am not my hobbies. I am not my roles as a friend, worker, spouse, child, parent, citizen, or what have you. Those are merely things that I do, but my true identity, who I am, is wrapped up in you.

I am God's dearly loved (Col. 3:10), adopted child (Ep. 1:5), raised with Christ (Ep. 2:6), and not condemned (Rm. 8:1). I am a friend of Jesus (Jn. 15:15), purchased with a price (1 Co. 6:20), saved by grace (Ep. 2:8-9), redeemed by his blood (Ep. 1:7-8). I am a temple of his Spirit (1 Co. 6:19), a citizen of heaven (Ph. 3:20), a member of Christ's body (1 Co. 12:27), an ambassador of his grace (2 Co. 5:20). I am not my own (1 Co. 6:19). I am a new creation (2 Co. 5:17), the workmanship of his hands (Ep. 2:10), a justified (Rm. 5:1), slave of righteousness, set free from my sin (Rm. 6:18).

I am yours, Lord God, though I don't always act like it. I live for you, though I confess my idols often get in the way. I know there are things in my life that are more important to me than you; My happiness, my comfort, my reputation, my name. Lord, my heart is an idol factory that can take nearly anything you give me, and elevate it to a place of importance that only you deserve: my family, my job, my friends, my looks, my hobbies, wealth, and so on. I turn almost everything into an idol; it needs to stop. Though I know it will be painful when you do it, gracious God, I need you to remove them from my heart once and for all, so I can be focused on your glory, and rest in your love.

Lord God, I have committed great sins against you, and deserve to be blotted out of your book. But I praise you because my forgiveness and salvation are not dependent on me, but totally on the blood that Christ shed for me. In his name, I pray, Amen!