Mercy Road Daily Prayer & Bible Reading ~ Monday, April 2, 2012

~ Read Exodus 37-38

What am I worth to you, Lord God? What is my value? What is my price?

In worldly terms, there are few things more valuable than gold. Platinum is costly and silver is precious, but gold sets the standard of value and worth. Gold really sparkles and shines. It's what I think about when I hear the word expensive. For centuries, it has driven people to do all sorts of crazy things. To some, it seems that gold is more valuable than life itself. In fact, right now, it would cost more money to buy an ounce of gold, than anything else I can think of. Gold is that valuable.

What am I worth to you, Lord God? What is my value? What is my price?

Lord God, in the past, when I've read Exodus 37, I confess that I've not always gotten much out of it. Maybe I'm just kind of dim, or perhaps I wasn't really trying. I don't know. Whatever the case, I know that I've read through the chapter many times before, and failed to see the point of all the details, and the reason for the descriptions. It just didn't make any sense to me. It all seemed kind of confusing; however, today, I read something that filled my heart with great joy and comfort.

What am I worth to you, Lord God? What is my value? What is my price?

In Exodus 37:6, I read that, "He made the atonement cover of pure gold...." Though I'm sure, I've read it dozens of times before, I guess I always overlooked it, Lord, because it didn't really seem that significant to me. I never paid much attention to that little detail because it seemed so unimportant; however, now I know I was wrong, because you are in those details.

What am I worth to you, Lord God? What is my value? What is my price?


"He made the atonement cover of pure gold..." That is to say, your servant, used the most precious metal in the world, to wrap the Ark of the Covenant, where your law was stored, as a way of representing how my sins have been covered, and your law has been satisfied. Your law was covered by the atonement you provided, through Jesus Christ. He is my atonement cover. He is the one who satisfies your law on my behalf and covers over all my selfishness, failure, and sin.

What am I worth to you, Lord God? What is my value? What is my price?

The answer has been the consistent throughout time, Lord God. It was the same for your people Israel, just as it is for your church today. My worth, my value, my price, is Jesus Christ. I am of infinite worth to you, Gracious God, because he died for me, so that I might live for him.

Thank you! Thank you! And thank you, again, in Jesus' name, Amen!