Mercy Road Daily Prayer & Bible Reading ~ Tuesday, April 10, 2012

~ Read Leviticus 9-10

Lord God,

There is nothing I can do to atone for my sin. No offering I can bring to make up for all the things that I have done wrong.

If I had a thousand rams, or ten-thousand perfect calves, they wouldn't even begin to cover all the envy that lives in my heart, not to mention the greed, gossip, hypocrisy, and lust, which mingles there as well. Even if I could give you every dime I will ever earn in my lifetime, I would still fall so far short of covering the cost of my sin, the paperwork to transfer those funds wouldn't be worth it. There is nothing I can do to atone for my sin. No offering I can bring to make up for all the things that I have done wrong.

I cannot purge my heart of selfishness that lives within, nor remove the guilt of my gross misdeeds and failures of the past. I cannot take back the hurtful words, I've said to others, nor undo the childish outbursts they've had to endure over the years. I cannot heal the wounds caused with all my sarcasm, envy, and pride. I cannot stand before you and justify the cynicism and bitterness that I hold onto like a life-preserver that keeps me afloat.

I admit it, Lord, There is nothing I can do to atone for my sin. No offering I can bring to make up for all the things that I have done wrong; so I throw myself upon your mercy, and beg for your forgiveness and grace.

Though I cannot atone for my sin, nor offer you enough to make up for all the things I've done wrong, Jesus is both my true High Priest, and my flawless, Sacrificial Lamb. He intercedes on my behalf, and offers up his own life as to pay the price for all my sin. He covers all my arrogance, self-pity, lust, and greed. He proves the depth of his great love for me, through his death on the cross.

My Lord, you are my true High Priest, and sacrificial Lamb,
On my behalf, you intercede, and cover all my sin.
You paid for all my wickedness, my envy, and my pride.
Your deep, deep love, you showed for me, when on the cross, you died.

Lord, thank you for your sacrifice, your mercy, and love and grace. Thank you for the forgiveness and freedom that are now mine. Fill me with your Spirit's power, and guide my life for your glory and honor.

In your Holy name I pray. Amen!