A Roomba, for Guys? Do I Really Need One?



Ok, it's not literally a Roomba for guys, but it may as well be, because the John Deere E5 is a mower that mows your lawn, just like an iRobot Roomba vacuum, and it's really a great idea. However, I confess, I have mixed feelings about it.

On the one hand, I love it because, like the Roomba, the E5 promises to free my time, so I can do more of what I want to do, and less of what I have to do. At the same time, I hate it, because I know it wouldn't work out that way.

Don't get me wrong, not having to mow the lawn every week would certainly give me extra time to do the things I enjoy, like spending time with my family, hanging out with friends, serving at Mercy Road Fellowship, and so on. What's more, I have no doubt that's exactly what I would do, at least, initially.

However, as time passed, and the mower continued to faithfully do its job, I'm skeptical that I would do the same. Though I would not stop doing so on purpose, I'm doubtful I'd continue using my time doing the enjoyable things I initially set out to do. On the contrary, as time progressed, I'd no doubt, begin doing what I've always done with my free time, waste it.

Suffice to say, it would start innocently enough, with a quick check of my e-mail, Twitter, and Facebook accounts; however, eventually, I'm certain it would lead to endless hours of staring at a computer screen, looking at stuff that is neither important, nor interesting, for the most part.

That's not to say that every moment I spend on my computer is wasted. Quite the opposite, if it weren't for my computer, I'd rarely get anything done. At the same time, because I recognize I have the propensity to be easily distracted, I have to accept that my weakness, and acknowledge that one less household chore (i.e. mowing the lawn), does not equal a better use of my time.

Consequently, with as cool as it is, I'll have to pass on the E5 for now, knowing that it just won't make good all that it promises, as nothing in this world ever does.

Read more about the John Deere E5