"Axe" of Grace

My son loves Axe body spray. Actually, both my sons do, though in all fairness to the younger, it was the older who started the trend. I hesitate to say that they love it, not because I'm afraid of embarrassing him, but because I think the word "love" is overused in our culture. That is to say, I think we often use the word love to describe our affinity for anything we "really like," or,"like, like," to steal a line from The Wonder Years. As a result, it's not uncommon for us to say things like, "I love this song," not long after we've said, "I love my family" (though we clearly don't mean it in the same way). When I was a kid, we added the word "really" to things we had a strong affinity for, but now day's everything is "love."

I say all this to make it clear that it was not without great consideration that I used the word "love" to describe my sons' affinity to Axe body spray. In fact, I only chose to use it because I could think of no other word to describe how strongly they must feel about it (a fact I deduced from the copious amounts they use every day). Though it may have a pleasant smell when applied in moderation, I can't really tell, since that never seems to happen. All I know is that 45 minutes after leaving the house, the smell of their Axe is still so strong, my eyes water every time I walk by their room.

Suffice to say, I don't get it. I mean, I get not wanting to smell when you've worked up a sweat, but I don't think an excessive application of Axe is the answer. While I could be wrong, in those cases, I think it only makes things worse by compounding the smell. What's really needed, of course, is a good shower, to remove the grime that is causing the stink. Only then, should Axe be applied in very small amounts because a little is more than enough to achieve its intended purpose.

For the most part, that's how I feel about everything. I don't buy into the "more is better" mindset with anything; and though I'm not perfect, I try my best to avoid excess as much as possible, except when it comes to God's grace. Though a little is more than enough to achieve its purpose, when it comes to God's grace, I can never get too much.

I cannot hear about it too much, think about it too much, desire it too much, ask for it too much, need it too much, feel it too much, or demonstrate it too much; because there is no such thing as too much of God's grace. I need to be bathed in it, showered in it, drenched in it, and even drown in it. I need God's grace to cleanse me of all my pride, greed, envy, lust, laziness, jealousy selfishness, and sin. Sure there are some who think we place too much emphasis on God's grace, and I guess that's their prerogative, but the way I see it, it's better than an excessive application of Axe.